CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Having Fun!

I had the sweetest morning yesterday.

We are on spring break this week-(which is a little misleading because at the moment it is 31 degrees and sleeting). I took a little time out from the kiddos yesterday morning and got together with one of my mentors from way back that lives in another town. Another one couldn't meet us but we talked on the phone for 30 minutes! These are godly women a little older than me with young adults, (some in college, some out). They have always shared their wisdom (& struggles) with me anytime I needed them. They have prayed with me, over me, listen to me pitch fits and rejoiced with me! I love them bunches!

I just wanted to share a couple of things they reminded me about this job of raising children:

1: Praise them! Praise them!- Praise their character traits, not always their performance. Sometimes this takes intentional means on my part. My 3 children are all very different with different temperaments and personalities they have different strengths and struggles, it is my job as their mom to know those strengths and struggles.
2. Have fun with them!- Now for some of you this may be a no brainer, but for those of us who were born going on 40 (as my daddy used to say about me!) this too takes a little intentional planning on my part. Now, I'm not always a stick-in-the-mud, BUT I like routine, and my quiet time, and reading, etc...you get the picture..:)

SOOOO.....here I sit in a quiet house with 4 precious, sleeping (although loud at 2am) teenage girls among a BIG pile of dirty dishes, clothes thrown everywhere kind of mess...trying to have fun...*grin*...no really it was fun! and I am filled with His joy this morning!

Do any of you have any "fun" ideas that you have done with your children to share?
I would love to hear about them!


Filled with His joy this morning (sleepy joy!)
Teresa

ps: Don't worry about me...the cavalry (that tall handsome hunky husband) arrives at 12:30 to whisk them (and the other 2) off to the movies so I can have the whole afternoon to write next week's teaching!!! YEAH!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you pick a date and I will be on your front porch in New York minute!!!! :)

This post is so good and reminded me of something I did with my son (need to start doing with my daughter and start doing AGAIN with my boy). When Taylor was in Kindergarten, I picked the little "loveseat" in our family room -- the piece of furniture that seldom was used unless we had company -- and named it "the talking chair." I did this because I knew that has he grew it would be harder and harder to talk about things with his Mom. I also knew that it was important for him to have a place where he could talk more than me and I listened more than I usually did. No what I mean?

Sometimes we talked about problems. Sometimes we just told silly little jokes. Sometimes we didn't talk with words, but just cuddled and "talked" with our affection.

Somehow when we moved, the "talking chair moments" dwindled.

So thanks for the reminder...today seems like a really good day to bring back "the talking chair!"

Blessings,
Dori

Runner Mom said...

How fun!! I am so proud of you! You rock, Mama! Those dirty clothes will always be there...the children won't. So glad you could enjoy this fun time with them!!
Love ya!
Susan

Sarah Martin said...

I love this! Even though I have a nine month old, it is good to start engraining these things into my mind and heart for when he gets old enough to know when I am praising him for his beautiful character traits. I am already doing the second one, though. It's pretty cool when your child thinks everything you do is funny! There is nothing like a baby's laugh-makes my whole day. I have been and will continue to pray for your Bible study teaching. I am so glad that we met through ministry!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog today.

Anonymous said...

Could you please recommend a good bible study I could do here at home. I'm 62 (young) and retired and want to grow in the Word. Also, please pray for my son who is going thru a difficult time right now. I would really appreciate it.
Nancy in North Carolina

Teresa said...

Hello Nancy! Thank you for stopping by! (62 is young!) One of my favorite Bible studies I've done on my own is Priscilla Shirer's "He Speaks To Me"...It is a great study to remind us how important our prayer life is and draws us closer to Him.
I will be praying for your son and you too. We serve a great, big God!
Blessings!
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much - keep praying for us.
Nancy in NC

Ginger said...

Teenagers keep you young...don't they! They are fun and so full of energy!

Linda said...

I too have to plan to have fun. I might even have been born 50. ugh! :) Hope you enjoyed your time alone.
Blessings,
Linda